Thursday, July 7, 2011

Low carb pregnancy - trending towards hypoglycemia

Okay, its only 1:50 p.m., and just about 1.5 hours since I've eaten lunch.  I went downstairs to the cafeteria today, and ordered their special - chicken wings.  Well, I got 5 measley wings with a handful of carrot sticks, and I paid $6.50 for the dubious pleasure.  Now, I'm starving.  It was not enough food.  And, I don't have any snacks here in the office to eat. 

Which brings me to my point.  Having a low carb pregnancy requires that you give some thought to snacking throughout the day.  Now that I'm pregnant, and using insulin (12 units of humalog at bedtime only, to help control morning fasting sugar), I am trending towards hypoglycemic during the day.  This is notwithstanding the fact that I've added reasonable amounts of carb-y fruits and vegetables to my diet, like strawberries, pineapple, carrots, and beans.

This morning, I had my usual eggs and meat with unsweetened, decaf iced coffee with cream.  I added half a cup of fresh cut pineapple.  Two hours later, my glucose is 92.  I start to feel crummy at about 11, so I check my glucose again, and its down in the 80s.  Now, I know that above 80 is not hypoglycemic ('cause I've been there before), but I'm telling you it feels lousy - I get headachey and uncomfortable, and I just don't like it. 

So, snacks.  That's my plan.  Better snack preparation, and clearly, keeping up with the frequent glucose monitoring, so I can keep my levels nice and steady.  I'm going to make some stuff when I get home that I can keep in my desk or in the fridge/freezer at the office. 

I'm also going to keep track of how I react to small amounts of carb-y foods.  Like yesterday, at lunch I had about 1/2 cup of beans from the latin restaurant where I grabbed my food.  Two hours later, despite the good amount of carbs in the beans, I was already in the 90s.  I wonder if its a high fiber thing?

For now, I'm going to see if I can get some nuts out of the downstairs vending machine.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...