Sunday, January 22, 2012

Low Carb Margarita Experiment - Take 4 & 5 and Compare with Skinny Girl Margarita

I'm just about margarita-ed out, folks...

So, let's talk about the flurry of weekend margarita experimentation that occurred over the past two days.

To the left, you can see a photo of the margarita fixings that I assembled on Friday.  We made two versions out of these fixings:


Margarita version 1.4 was a variation on the Laura Dolson margarita base that I have been using time and time again.  Except, instead of fake sugar, we substituted 1 tablespoon of Thai coconut palm sugar paste (jaggery) and made a simple syrup out of it, which we combined with lime juice, tequila, and orange extract.  This added about 3 carbs to the net carbohydrate count, but also significant sweetness without a fake sugar aftertaste.  Here's the recipe:
  • 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) water
  • 1 tbsp jaggery
  • 1 jigger (1.5 oz) tequila
  • 2 Tablespoons (1 oz) fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
  • Ice - small handful
  • Margarita salt or kosher salt
Directions
  1. Pour water into a microwave safe container, and microwave on high for 60 seconds, until steamy.  Add jaggery to hot water and mix until the jaggery is dissolved.
  2. Combine all the ingredients (minus the salt), and stir stir stir until fully incorporated and the liquid is icy cold.
  3. Serve in a salt-lined glass if you wish.  I like mine without salt, on the rocks.  Or... if you like it frozen, just dump the margarita and rocks into a blender and let it whir, baby.
Review: I really liked Margarita version 1.4.  It is a bit cloudier than the others because jaggery is an unrefined sweetener and is brown in color.  For me, this was a really good margarita.  For my husband, it was his least favorite.  I understand why: jaggery has a slight caramel flavor that does not hide in the flavor background.  It is not flavor-neutral.  For me, the 3 additional net carbs on this drink were worth it.  It was just sweet enough for me.  I would give this one a 3.5 out of 5.

Margarita version 1.5 was, again, a variation on the Laura Dolson margarita base.  Here, we made a simple syrup with the hot water, 1/2 tablespoon of jaggery and 1/2 tablespoon of Truvia.  The goal was to have some natural sweetness from the jaggery to offset the fake sugar taste of the Truvia, but not so much truvia that the aftertaste would bring me to me knees.  
  • 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) water
  • 1/2 tbsp jaggery
  • 1/2 tbsp Truvia
  • 1 jigger (1.5 oz) tequila
  • 2 Tablespoons (1 oz) fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
  • Ice - small handful
  • Margarita salt or kosher salt
Directions
  1. Pour water into a microwave safe container, and microwave on high for 60 seconds, until steamy.  Add jaggery and Truvia to hot water and mix until the jaggery is dissolved.
  2. Combine all the ingredients (minus the salt), and stir stir stir until fully incorporated and the liquid is icy cold.
  3. Serve in a salt-lined glass if you wish.  I like mine without salt, on the rocks.  Or... if you like it frozen, just dump the margarita and rocks into a blender and let it whir, baby.
Review: Going half and half with the jaggery and Truvia brought the carb count down 1.5 grams from margarita version 1.4.  This version (margarita 1.5) is my favorite to date.  Peter liked it, despite the addition of some jaggery to round out the taste of the artificial sweetener.  This is a low carb margarita that I would feel fine serving to anyone, low carber and carboholics alike :)  I gave it a 4.25 out of 5 (notably, the "5" is the full sugar amazing margarita that I just can't drink anymore; on this scale, 4.25 is a damn tasty drink).

Notably, I decided, after sampling margarita 1.5, that I had maybe reached my max tequila consumption for the week.  So, I combined the margarita that I had left from my sampling (about 1.5 ounces) with about 4 ounces of orange-flavored seltzer water.  It was actually quite delicious, and still pretty potent.  I would definitely do this again, especially in the summer when you want a drink that's refreshing and tangy, but is not going to knock your socks off quite that quickly. 

SKINNY GIRL

Everyone who knows about my low carb margarita experiment has been yammering away at me about Skinny Girl Margaritas.  So, when I happened to come across a bottle of it at the liquor store, and checked the nutrition label (a 4 ounce serving has about 4 grams of net carbs, and has about 12.7% alcohol/volume), I thought that I would pick up a bottle.  A 750 ml bottle, containing 7 x 4 ounce servings cost me about $15. 

I bought it, brought it home, chilled it, and then Pete and I had a taste test.  Here are my thoughts:

Taste: My margaritas are robustly lime-y.  They are not shy.  You know that you are drinking a margarita.  The lime is fresh.  This margarita packs a zesty punch but has a delicate citrus scent.  They are good.  They are lipsmacking.  One of them will make you tipsy, and a second will knock you on your kiester.

By way of contrast, Skinny Girl tastes watered down and is only vaguely citrus-y.  It would be as if you made my margarita with bottled lime juice, then diluted the whole mix at least 50-50 with water (and I'm being generous here, because I did water mine down with seltzer water, and it still packed more punch than Skinny Girl).  You can tell the difference between my margaritas and Skinny Girl's just by looking at them: Skinny Girl is a thin, watery beverage.  Mine has body and, by God, texture (love that lime pulp).  There is just no comparison.  Honestly, I didn't even finish the Skinny Girl.  I passed it to the hubby.  If I am going to drink carbs, I'm going to get the max out them.  Skinny Girl was a limp dishrag of a margarita, and just not worth it.

Price: Considering that the bottle of El Espolon tequila that I bought for my recipes cost just around $22 for a 750 ml bottle, and that this bottle will make approximately 16 x 6 ounce margaritas and change (each containing 1.5 ounces of tequila), it became immediately clear that my homemade versions were waaaay less expensive than Skinny Girl.  In fact, I did the math, and I figured out that each of my 6 ounce margaritas cost around $1.50, while the 4 ounce Skinny Girls cost just over $2 each.  So, mine rang in at about 25 cents per ounce, while Skinny Girl cost about 50 cents per ounce. 

That math is not 100% accurate, but it is pretty close.  In fact, I would consider my math to be downright generous, considering that Skinny Girl is so watered down, that my recipe, mixed 50-50 with water, is still more potent and tasty, and my watered down version would cost only about 12.5 cents per ounce.

Rating: Skinny Girl weighs in at a skinny 2 out of 5, but only if you want a boring, vaguely lime-y drink that won't even stand up to the spicy mexican food that you pair it with.  Disappointing!

CONCLUSIONS from the peanut gallery:

If you can get your hands on jaggery, give Margarita version 1.5 a try.  It is really good.  If you can't find jaggery, use just Truvia instead.  You'll be a happy camper.

Don't waste your money on Skinny Girl.  If you love margaritas, then take the time to make your own margaritas.  They are cheaper and tastier.  If you want a watered down margarita, then eschew Skinny Girl, and just modify your own hooch to suit.  Your taste buds and your wallet will thank me for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...