Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Intermittent Fasting Experiment (24 on / 24 off)

So far, so good. Yesterday was Day #1 – an eating day – and I had no complaints. I didn't manage to finish eating by 6 p.m., though, because dinner (takeout) arrived late. I was done by 6:30 p.m., so I don't think that it is a huge violation of the IF protocol I established. Plus, Dr. Eades was flexible about the timing, and would just wait to eat until 24 hours had passed, in my case, until 6:30 p.m. today. I ate more at dinner than I otherwise would (I was comfortably full, but not stuffed), thinking that my predecessors of 40,000 years ago would have glutted themselves on the meaty bounty before me, because they ate heartily when food was plentiful. Plus, I knew that [self-inflicted] lean times were ahead for me, and I wanted to make sure I gave myself the best possible chance for surviving my fast day. (I just reread this last sentence; what a dramatic choice of words!!)

The fasting period started last night at the end of dinner. It was not easy for me, because I am, in particular, a late night snacker. So, relaxing on the couch, reading a book or watching TV, did not prove to be conducive to fasting. I kept thinking about grabbing a bite of cheese or roasted chicken, or nibbling on some almonds. So, I moved to the family room – a room with no late night snacking connotations – sipped a big glass of iced water and began to read Art Devaney's New Evolution Diet (well written, novel approach, and I will review in the future). I was fine until I woke up at 2:30 a.m., and for reasons unrelated to this fast, was unable to get back to sleep until about 4:30 a.m.

So, the beginning of Day #2 – a fasting day – started off at 6:30 a.m. I was a little sleep deprived, and definitely felt it. It has gotten better since then. I am not hungry. I have good energy. I am in a good mood. I am at work, and my brain seems to be functioning well. I am drinking water and unsweetened iced green tea. So far, I have no desire to eat. I actually still feel like some of last night's dinner is still kicking around inside of me.

Hopefully, being here at work will make fasting easier, since I am more distracted, there is less opportunity to eat anything (unless you bring it, or buy it during the window that the cafeteria is open), and all of the fresh, ice cold water I want is only 40 feet from my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...